Save That Stuff, Inc. collects mixed office paper from a variety of corporate and institutional settings. “Mixed office paper” refers to a broad mix of office papers…plain white paper, colored paper, glossy, newspapers, magazines or envelopes…we'll take it all.
Mixed Paper Recycling Guidelines:
At Save That Stuff, our motto is "if you rip it, you can recycle it."
Download the Mixed Paper Recycling Guidelines poster
- All paper, including white and colored (staples and paper clips are okay!)
- Books and telephone books (paperback only)
- Boxes (e.g. office supply boxes, cookie & cracker boxes, tissue boxes, etc.)
- Writing tablet backs.
- Brochures and flyers
- Carbonless forms (NCR Paper)
- Computer paper, shredded paper.
- Envelopes (windows and labels are okay)
- Fax paper
- File folders
- Junk mail
- Magazines, newspapers and inserts.
- Paper bags
- Spiral notebooks
- NO trash, paper cups or plates, plastic bags, tissue paper, paper towels.
- NO recyclables containing food waste
- NO foam packaging or Styrofoam
- NO plastic bags, food liners, unmarked plastics( laundry baskets/chairs/toys)
- NO hardcover books, labels or label backings, express delivery envelopes with bubble wrap (i.e. Fed Ex, etc.)
- NO carbon paper
- NO candy wrappers
- NO photographs
- NO hazardous material or universal waste
Frequently asked questions about mixed paper recycling:
Q: What can and cannot be recycled in a mixed paper recycling program?
A: The rule of thumb is that if you can rip it, you can recycle it.
Q: Can I throw paper towels, paper plates, or paper cups in the mixed paper recycling?
A: No. The mixed paper must be free of contaminants (e.g., food, drink). If you are using compostable dishware, you may explore setting up a composting program.
Q: Can I recycle paper with paper clips, staples or other metal clips on it?
Q: Can I recycle paper with tape on it?
Q: Can I recycle envelopes with windows?
Q: Where do the materials go and what does it get made into?
A: Paper is sent to mills in Maine, Canada and overseas. Most office paper is remanufactured into tissue and toweling products, or new printing and writing paper.